Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

Performing for Love or Money


     Working in the entertainment industry can be a rollercoaster of emotions, jobs, and especially money.  The life of a performer definitely comes with its challenges, but many people are willing to go through the struggle, for the ultimate adrenaline rush of being on stage.
     Over the last couple of months, I have written about different performers in the Tampa Bay area.  All of them being very talented and living the daily grind of a performer.  Not knowing if a contract is going to be renewed, or when the next move is going to be, or when you are no longer the “it” performer can be very scary.  But all of these performers love what they do and the money does not matter.  Exposure is a big key to success but some performers choose to stay local and not take that next step into stardom.
     A performer in the entertainment industry myself, I have had the pleasure of asking those around me why they do what they do.  The most common answer is the love of being on stage.  The least common answer is fame and fortune.  Now do not get me wrong, most people want financial stability, and that is very possible in the local entertainment industry.  According to Salary.com, the average actor/performer in the Tampa Bay area makes on average $47,311 per year (Salary.com, 2012).  This was surprising to me only because the average income for a performer in Tampa, FL is higher then a performer in Orlando, FL.  Performers in Orlando, FL make an average of $46,505 per year (Salary.com, 2012).
      You might be saying, “I am a performer in Tampa and I don’t make nearly that much, what am I doing wrong?”  Well one thing that is important to know is the importance of taking advantage of every opportunity.  Most of my fellow performers work at multiple theme parks, work in professional theater, they have bands, they sell CD’s, and they play for weddings, parties, wherever they feel they can showcase their talents.  Doing this helps them financially and it also helps them gain exposure. 
     I love what I do and feel Blessed everyday I get to work in this industry.  Money is not as important to me as the joy I get from performing.  But I am just one person and one opinion.  So, if you are looking for financial gain in this industry, treat your craft as your business and market yourself to the right places and the right people.



References

Salary.com. (2012, January 1). Salary.com. Retrieved January 6, 2012, from Salary.com:    
        http://swz.salary.com/SalaryWizard/Actor-Performer-Salary-Details-Orlando-FL.aspx

Salary.com. (2012, January 1). Salary.com. Retrieved January 6, 2012, from Salary.com: 
        http://swz.salary.com/SalaryWizard/Actor-Performer-Salary-Details-Tampa-FL.aspx



0 comments:

Post a Comment