Pages

Friday, August 24, 2012

Growth of Mobile Apps


The growth of mobile apps was almost like an overnight sensation.  Well to the public that is always how it seems.  The developers’ feel like it takes forever for the concept to catch on, but for the rest of the world, it comes around unexpectedly.  This growth is helped by the percentage of smartphone users.  Over 50% of the U.S population owns a smartphone (Cocotas, 2012)

An example in the fast growth of mobile apps is the overnight sensation of the app Draw Something.  Draw something was released to users in early February, and after 9 days had already acquired about 1 million downloads (Cocotas, 2012).  The growth did not stop there, because after six weeks, the game had approximately 35 million downloads (Cocotas, 2012)


According to PwC, smartphone owners use their smartphones for three daily activities: basic communications, accessing news, weather or sports and social network usage (Tofel, 2011).  PwC has also surveyed that 40% of these owners will increase these activities to 14 different areas, including travel, healthcare and management because of apps (Tofel, 2011).

In the business world apps have started to become just as important as Internet media.    Smartphone owners can do everything from place orders, to shopping, to finding different business in their exact location.  AT&T surveyed businesses and more than a third of these small business feel they could not survive without mobile apps (Cascade Marketing Solutions, 2012).  Within the survey they were asked what the most valuable sorts of mobile apps were and 46% said “apps that help you shop or make purchases” (Cascade Marketing Solutions, 2012).

As I graduate from school and start my own business, it is important for me to keep up with the trends that will help my business thrive.  I know how frequently I use my mobile phone, and how I use it more then my computer sometimes.  This makes me realize that this is the way the world is going.  They want convenience and a way to access as much as they can in the palm of their hand.  The growth in mobile apps shows me how I can use this trend in my marketing efforts and in my businesses everyday operations.  I believe this trend will help me be successful and help me connect with a wider audience.  

References

Cascade Marketing Solutions. (2012, January 1). The Growth of Mobile Applications - No End in Sight! Retrieved August 24, 2012, from Cascade Marketing Solutions: www.cascademarketingsolutions.com/2012/03/growth-mobile-applications-sight/

Cocotas, A. (2012, March 23). The Breathtaking Pace of Mobile App Growth Is Just Gettting Started. Retrieved August 24, 2012, from Business Insider: http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-03-23/news/31228305_1_smartphone-app-zynga

Tofel, K. C. (2011, November 18). Why the mobile app economy will keep growing quickly . Retrieved August 24, 2012, from GIGaom: htp://gigaom.com/mobile/why-the-mobile-app-economy-will-keep-growing-quickly/



0 comments:

Post a Comment