Pages

Sunday, June 17, 2012

LinkedIn


Social media has taken over by storm.  These sites help stimulate many different needs for their audiences and some sites have become a part of people daily routines.  The impact that social media has on people lives is amazing.  This is where people keep up with the personal lives of their friends and celebrities.  When I think of social media I think of sites such as Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Pintrest, and Google +.  However, there are more sites then these and that is what I want to focus on.  I want to focus on a site, that brings business professionals together, and has become popular in its on right, and that site is LinkedIn.


LinkedIn is a professional network that currently has over 120 million members (LinkedIn, 2012).  With LinkedIn, users can publish professional profiles, stay in touch with colleagues and friends, find experts and ideas, and explore opportunities (LinkedIn, 2012).  I was first introduced to LinkedIn last year.  I was not sure what it was and if it was worth using, and I honestly I only signed up because it was a requirement for class.  It did not interest me because I did not have a business, and even though I was starting my Master’s Degree, I did not consider myself to be the type of professional who could use a site like this.  I felt it was more for the white-collar worker, not a performer.  I would have never thought it would prove me wrong.

LinkedIn allows users to post their current and past work locations, education, websites, bio, experience, skills, expertise, recommendations, and gives the opportunity to connect with other industry professionals in their field.  LinkedIn is also a great place to find other executives and company owners.  This networking brings you closer to CEO’s and owners that you maybe felt were unable to connect with.  You can search companies, find jobs, and even find new employees for your business.

LinkedIn is currently ranked number 4 in social networks in the U.S with 86 million visits in March (Wasserman, 2012).  Unfortunately, everyone is not familiar with LinkedIn.  So how come it has such a great following?  They have done a good job at following the trends of other successful sites.  LinkedIn Today allows users to share content on a “wall” just like Facebook (Simply Zesty, 2011).  Adding activities for users to engage in has stimulated audiences more then just having a profile others can view.

I think LinkedIn is a great tool for business professionals.  I have been able to connect with others in my profession and share my ideas.  I believe LinkedIn will continue to thrive and I hope more people utilize this great networking tool.

Ericka Womack-Brown

References

LinkedIn. (2012, January 1). What is LInkedIn - LinkedIn Learning Center. Retrieved June 15, 2012, from LinkedIn: http://learn.linkedin.com/what-is-linkedin/

Simply Zesty. (2011, May 29). Why LinkedIn is copying some of the most successful Facebook features. Retrieved June 15, 2012, from Simply Zesty: http://www.simplyzesty.com/social-media/linkedin-2/how-linkedin-is-piggybacking-on-facebooks-success

Wasserman, T. (2012, April 6). Pintrest is Now No. 3 Social Network in the U.S. Retrieved June 15, 2012, from Mashable: http://mashable.com/2012/04/06/pintrest-number-3-social-network/

0 comments:

Post a Comment