Pages

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

North American Performing Arts Managers and Agents


I have had the pleasure of performing in the entertainment industry for the past 5 years and I have gotten to a place in my life where I want more.  I want to take my experience to the next level and help others take their natural talents there as well.  I feel North American Performing Arts Managers and Agents can help me in this venture, by helping me develop professionalism and give me the community support I need to succeed.

NAPAMA is a non-for-profit service organization, founded in 1979.   This organization prides itself by promoting the professionalism of its members and the spirit of the performing arts.  Located in New York City, NAPAMA has helped artists, managers and performers for over 30 years.  Their mission statement is “to promote the best interest of performing arts agents and managers through leadership, professional developmental and alliances in the performing arts industry.”  All of NAPAMA’s active members consist of agents, agencies, presenters, associations and artists, and uses the Certified Performing Arts Executive Certification Programs to help their members with professional development.  They also collaborate with other organizations including Arts Midwest, Western Arts Alliance, Performing Arts, and many more.

There are many services that NAPAMA provides to its members.  Members receive discounts on conferences and industry products and services, professional development, access to discount legal and tax advice and insurance coverage, awards and industry recognition, and industry liaison and advocacy.  There is also an annual education retreat where you learn professional development, communication and outreach by distributing newsletters, email blasts, and performers reference guides, and an extensive list of references that provide information on the performing arts fields.  Members are the only people who have access to these resources making it very intriguing for people like me to join.

This company has quickly become influential to me.  I did not realize that an organization like this existed and makes me feel more comfortable knowing I have a place that I can get assistance.  Only having performance experience in the entertainment industry is not enough; it is resources like this that can help me become more informed in my field so I can be the best manager I can be.  The affects that this organization has on the industry seem to be all positive.  They build a community within people who might otherwise feel they have no support and educate new comers like me to better my career.

NAPAMA is very important to the entertainment industry, because for the last 30 years, it has helped agents, managers, and many more, better their knowledge of the industry.  It has become the voice of agents and managers, helping artists and presenters as well, and has been known to have “a cooperative voice in a competitive business.”  I believe this is a very good reputation to have.  The entertainment industry can be brutal and intimidating, so it is nice to know that there is something out there to welcome managers and agents with open arms.


References

National American Performing Arts Managers and Agents. (2009, January 1). NAPAMA History. Retrieved December 7, 2011, from National American Performing Arts Managers and Agents: http://www.napama.org


0 comments:

Post a Comment